Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Figure drawings



In the last few days I decided to pick up figure drawing (drawing from life) again. I'll tell you what, it was certainly difficult to lay down the first strokes of charcoal as it has been a long time since working like this (10+ years). I started with large sheets of paper on my easel as I felt this would give me more freedom and range of motion of the arm to create quick and gestural drawings. These two are between 2 and 5 minutes long...I did not time them. I'm guessing now that they are in the 5+ time range now but over time and practice I will shorten the pose time once I gain more confidence and coordinate my hand and eye on a more instinctive level. The purpose of these were to record the essence of the figure in foreshortened perspective with no "shading" and with only line to dictate the form. Proportions must be worked out and achieved quickly in order to lay down the entire form in a convincing manner. There was a sense of freedom working this way since they are raw and honest with no time to dilly-dally with making a "pretty finished" drawing. It was back to the basics and I learned a lot. I look at them now and can nit pick them to death but because of this, I can hopefully move on and improve with future sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment