Saturday, January 23, 2010

3rd Floor Studio






I'm posting these pictures to help motivate me. We live in a 90 year old house that has a 3rd floor/attic that I've been finishing to become my studio/work-space. Well, I stalled out weeks ago. Part of it was the joys of having a new baby (Dec. 16th), the holiday season, mixed with other things going on which slowed progress. New electric and plumbing was ran. Windows and skylights were installed to bring in more light and to offer views of the lake and a near aerial view of my backyard. I framed up a half-bath and knee walls along with other drywall backers. Insulating was a pure joy (just kidding)! Lugging 60 sheets of drywall up multiple flights of stairs was taxing. Working with multiple roof lines and angles was a nightmare for a drywall novice like myself to mud and tape (90+ hours). All outside corners were treated with a 1/2" bullnose to help soften the angles. I think I went through something like 40 gallons of drywall mud...I don't want to remember. Various stages made me appreciate trades-people who do this as a living as it's an art-form in itself which was humbling since I was nowhere near mastering. Then I decided I will make my own hardwood flooring. I went to my hardwood mill, picked up rough-sawn White Ash, and had it planed down. Ash is an under-used domestic hardwood with nice varying dark and light shades. It is traditionally used as tool handles and baseball bats as it is harder than red oak. I ripped the planks into 3 different widths, 2.5", 3.5", and 4.5" to add visual interest and try to minimize waste. I purchased industrial tongue and groove cutters and adapted those to my router table and assembled a make-shift dust and chip collection system and had at it. It was loud and intimidating. I then routed multiple shallow grooves on the underside of my boards as hardwood floors have this. I still don't know why for certain this is done. I've read that it helps eliminate some cupping and warping. I also have seen that it helps air circulate on undersides of boards. Whatever the reasoning, I went for it. Laying it was an entire other tedious task that I won't get into here. So...here I am now. As shown in the pictures, I have to sand and finish the floor which I'm nervous about. I need to mill and paint my trim-work and install. I have to install my light fixtures and outlets and move up there. I will lay tile in the half-bath and install a toilet and pedestal sink. Ohhh...I still need to build window seats for the dormers yet! We'll keep you posted!

2 comments: