Friday, January 22, 2010

Exercise/Stretching Illustrations



As I await a conference call in about a half hour regarding these illustrations I've been working on, I thought I'd make a post. I have about thirty something illustrations for a drug company depicting exercises and stretching, both male and female, that I've done first rounds of. The age group they requested is about 10 years older than my wife and I and are to have a good fitness level in appearance. I often use us as models for illustrations and did so for these. The challenge is trying to draw us 10 years in advance. Especially with the close-ups, I had to pay special attention to this. It's difficult to draw wrinkles and other details in a convincing manner as I feel these wrinkles, when drawn, sometimes simply make the face look "dirty and streaky" instead of natural. Thinking about it, I believe aging wrinkles usually occur perpendicular to the direction of muscle fibers which makes sense since the skin will fold perpendicular to the direction muscles contract and over time, exposure, etc. the skin will lose elasticity and that loss of recoil in the skin will show. I will also have to draw figures of various ethnic backgrounds as well for these because they will be presented in international markets.

No comments:

Post a Comment