Wednesday, January 8, 2014

"Shallow Water"

This is a recent drawing I did, "Shallow Water" (9.5x9.5). It is off to be framed and I wish I would've been able to take a better photo of it before it's behind glass. I think I might try scanning my drawings instead of photographing them. This is graphite on clayboard. I picked up a couple clayboards a few years ago but never got around to trying them. I believe my intention was to try silverpoint on them but that never came to fruition so I tried graphite. I found some pros and cons in working with it. First, I enjoyed having a rigid board to work on rather than paper clipped down or taped to a board. I usually don't like the movement of paper when working up a finished drawing. I enjoyed the smooth texture as well. Now for the cons, it seemed that the surface was easily scratched by a hard pencil and also, real fine circular sanding marks became evident from the manufacturing process. I do think I will try the surface again, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment