Sunday, March 2, 2014

Recent Interior Painting

This is a recent painting I did. "Studio, Southeast Corner." 20x16, oil. I really enjoy painting interiors and different obscure corners of the house. I find them just as challenging as painting outside especially when relying on natural light because the lighting conditions change just as they do outside. Often if a room has multiple windows, skylights and lights on, the end result is a mixture of multiple light sources bouncing light throughout the scene and across objects in a manner that makes me have to think about the dynamics of light and color a bit more than outside. One good thing about interiors vs. outside is the consistent temperatures and relaxed atmosphere of being inside instead of out in the elements. This was painted over a few sessions (multiple days) during the same time of day with similar light conditions outside.

2 comments:

  1. Matt, this is very worthwhile work! You really did capture the effect of the multiple light sources in this piece. I know this corner of your studio, and this piece shows your true inner vision. Great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again, Kyle. I actually just sat at my computer desk to paint this in between doing work at the computer.

      Delete