Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Raccoon skull study II


Here's another raccoon skull study I finished up today. 4.25"x8.5", graphite pencil. This one, along with another skull, and one of my nocturne paintings will be in a local halloween exhibit. I'm having a real difficult time photographing my drawings. The darks always tend to photo a bit grainy, the mid-tones end up being one value, and the lights end up being too dark...closer to the lighter mid-tones. The drawings all have a close value range for the most part but it gets frustrating. My assumption is that since graphite has a metallic looking luster, it has a reflective quality. That, along with the fact that this is on a smooth hot-press bristol (reflective also), my marks are bouncing light around in a strange way.

No comments:

Post a Comment