Monday, July 25, 2011

Door County, WI Plein Air Festival

This weekend (Thursday-Sunday) I took my family to Door County, WI for a big plein air event. It was actually a week long adventure for the featured artists there.


8x6, oil. Plein air 7-21-11. First night Door County, WI.

12x10, oil. Plein air 7-22-11. Peninsula State Park.

8x6, oil. Plein air 7-22-11, right before dusk.

8x10, oil. Plein air 7-23-11 (Door County, WI). My rock study at the dock-side quick paint competition. 2 hours start to finish and frame. A very humbling, exciting, and intense time. I rarely run into people while painting.....during this, hundreds walked by and dozens stopped to chat. Got through it and enjoyed the experience. Once in the zone it's difficult not to just paint. I felt star-struck meeting a lot of artists I look up to and it was exciting to see all their great work.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Matt,
    It was great meeting you up in the door. It really was a rush, wasn't it? I was commenting to Dan that this guy paints nocturns, gets up to paint sunrises AND he has kids! Lets get together and paint sometime soon. I really enjoyed your pieces and want to learn more about your secrets of the langnickel.
    Cheers
    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kyle,
    I just saw your comment a minute ago. I'm going to have to start checking my comments on the blog here! Kids are great but you certainly have to budget your time! Definitely, we'll have to hook up and paint sometime. Sounds great. Take care and we'll have to plan something. -Matt

    ReplyDelete